Sunday, August 1, 2010

A Time to Reflect

   I was thinking today that I need to start writing down the things I have learned so that I can remember them and apply them. I guess that is what most of my blogs and journals are in essence but sometimes it is helpful just to list them, and not go into tons of detail. This weekend my dad and I helped with team camp and I was able to see a lot of things that I believe will be helpful to myself and anyone else hoping to work with teams:
  • Treat the kids well (and fairly) and you will gain the respect and support of their parents.
  • Give them the green light and it will open up other opportunities you might not have expected. (i.e. when you expect them to take their open shots your players know to go for the rebound.)
  • Support those trying to do what is right in word and action.
  • Set the rules up front. Let them know you like them, but certain things will not be tolerated (like belittling team mates.) Enforce it.
  • Sandwich method: tell the good, offer ways to improve, finish on a positive note.
  • If they do something wrong, tell them, but don't humilate them. It may take a little more thought but they respond so much better.
  • Games show what you need to work on~ use their mistakes to teach them how to be better in the areas they need help with, not to tear down.
  • Don't focus on the scoreboard. Play each possession to the best of your ability.
  • Pray for help in figuring things out, doing things for God's glory, and for helping others become who they need to.
  • Expect great things.
  • Treat players, refs, coaches, time keepers, parents, and everyone else how you would want to be treated. Respect and a smile can go a long way.
  • Look for and make use of every opportunity. Honor Christ.
"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him." ~Colossians 3:17

No comments:

Post a Comment