Monday, August 9, 2010

Encourage One Another

   I used to think I didn't need encouragement. That I could function totally fine without it. Of course this was at a point in my life where I had a constant flow of encouragement. That combined with the fact that we are not to do things for the praise of men made me think that I shouldn't need encouragement, and so I never thought I did. When the low points in life hit though, I see the need for it, not only for myself but for others.
  My mom and I have talked a lot about balance over the years. There is definitely a need for balance in the area of encouragement as well. Too much and you can lose sight of the fact that there is always room for improvement and help from God's guiding hand. Too little and you can lose sight of the fact that God has given each of us great tasks to accomplish and with His help we can do a lot of good for His kingdom.
   Just recently I was struggling with where life was for me. Really it was a focus issue. I started focusing on my wants instead of my service. I started praying about it because I knew I was going into a funk but I really had no idea how to get out of it... It still never ceases to amaze me how God answers prayer. Within the evening I had received a facebook message and talked to my mom both of which were a great encouragement, and have continued to receive it from different people who mean so much to me: like my best friend from college and like a sister friend from here in town.
   It reminded me of the power of encouragement though. Like I say there needs to be a balance so that we are building others up rather than just puffing, but it is a gift to receive it... and to give it.

"Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in fact you are doing."
~ 1 Thessalonians 5:12

No comments:

Post a Comment