Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Joys of Friendship

  I love seeing the effects of people in my life. Sometimes I don't even realize it until a lot of time has passed, but the people we are around on a daily basis mold and shape our lives. Which makes it important not only to choose your friends wisely, but also to be the friend you want to be around.
   I got to spend time tonight with my roommate and best friend from college. (haha I specify cuz my little sister is like my best friend too so she would be the one from Happy.) I still remember getting to college and praying that I would find a good friend. I didn't really think I needed one too badly at the time, but I remember Mom saying something about not having very many close friends that were girls in college and at times she felt like she missed out so I figured I would pray about it and if God said yes that was great and if He said no I wasn't too worried. I had no idea the magnitude of that prayer, more accurately the magnitude of God's answering that prayer.
   She was exactly what I didn't know I needed. We both have grown a lot since our first Sonic run where we discovered how much we had in common. Our lives are now at somewhat different points with her about to be married and me still happily single, and yet we never seem to run out of things to talk about.
   I have been blessed my whole life with good friends. They started in Wyoming, then I had (have) great ones from high school and continue to have great ones from college and beyond both guys and girls of all different ages. This summer has been kind of different with being out of college, but it has allowed me to be around so many different people and has allowed me opportunities I might not have had otherwise.
   If I were to take out the people and just mention all the facts about this summer, my situation in life could look a little depressing, but when the people are added in the whole situation brightens up. God knew it wasn't good for us to be alone, and from the very beginning has brought just the right people into each of our lives. That doesn't mean people don't disappoint or that we won't disappoint them, but it is a great blessing that each of us are given. It's also one that isn't always seen readily. Sometimes we have to cultivate friendships, and wait for others to develop before the true joy is seen in them.

"I am a friend to all who fear You, to all who follow Your precepts." ~ Psalm 119:63

No comments:

Post a Comment