Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Is it True?

   The lesson tonight was on seeking the truth. Such an important thought because there are times where it is so much easier just to listen to what people say and take them at their word rather than making sure it is accurate. One of the things I have appreciated the most about Dad as he preaches are his frequent remarks not simply to take him at his word but to check him on it and make sure what he says is in accordance with God's Word.
   I think this is one of the most important things we can do not only for ourselves but for the well being of the church. It's not the idea that we don't trust whoever is speaking, but rather that they are human too and if they have made a mistake concerning the accurate handling of the Bible they need to know.
  The same is true with my writings. I think about a lot of different things and normally think through many different scenarios, but even in this I could accidentally take things out of context or something like that, and so while I strive to be accurate in everything I do I could be mistaken.
   The point with all of this is that people should never be our standard in the way we live our lives. Not that we can't have people we look up to, but rather we shouldn't judge whether or not we do something based on what they do solely, but rather on what the Word of God says. The wonderful thing is that there is truth, and we are told if we seek we will find which gives me great comfort! :]

"Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true." ~ Acts 17:11

No comments:

Post a Comment