Monday, August 2, 2010

The Choice of Faith

   Have you ever noticed how easy it is to simply react to our circumstances? We see the way we would like things to be and we see the way things are, and it can be very tempting to start asking a lot of questions that if we are not careful will just lead us to total dissatisfaction with our present reality.
   I think the reason we are not told up front the reason we are going through something is because it requires  faith to not understand things completely. It's tempting though to question these things and rely on our own merit to get us through or as justification for why our present circumstances should be different instead of relying on God's goodness to get us through whatever it is we are going through.
   I keep going through cycles this summer. The times I do the best are the times I choose to believe in and pray for God's will for my life. There are days when that is not the easy choice. There are days when I choose the easy choice, but wind up feeling empty and unsatisfied. I think it is because deep down I know that if I am not truly seeking God's will I am choosing the selfish path for my own life.
   I think the most encouraging thing about it all is that we serve a God who wants the best for our lives. Sometimes this means not giving us everything we want at the exact moment we want it. At present, there is a particular job I would love to have and a particular guy I would love to see if was the one I can serve God best with, however as of this moment in time I do not have either. It's not wrong to dream. It's not wrong to want certain things to happen in our lives. It is wrong to question God's justice or goodness. We are so blessed to serve a God who loves us so much that He gave His Son to die so that we could be with Him in heaven. A God who not only knows the best way for us to be with Him, but knows the ways in which we can serve Him best to help others be with Him as well. Sometimes its easy to get caught up in our desires, and forget that this life is a test. One that if we pass will allow us to be with our God for an eternity, along with having planted and watered the seed for others to be there as well.
   It's not always an easy choice to have faith that God knows what is best for us rather than to question why we are going through certain circumstances. I believe if we seek how we can use whatever we are going through to serve God best, we will find that the situation isn't really that bad, that it has a purpose, and that we serve a good God.

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

No comments:

Post a Comment