Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Read Good Books

   It wasn't until the fall semester of my junior year that I began to love reading again. I used to love it when I was younger, but then we started doing AR and my love for it grew dim in most areas. One of my teachers had me read a book called 12 Pillars that sparked my interest in it once again. Since that time I have become a book fanatic, and have expanded my library by quite a large number.
   You can tell the really good ones because they contain Godly principles in them, principles you find within the pages of the Bible. It's amazing how successful people have found God's Word to contain the very things they model their lives after. Many times, I would venture to say, they don't even know that it is a Biblical concept, but even if they don't know the origin they still find it to work in their life. It's incredible how much wisdom is contained in the Bible and how compact it is for its purpose.
   One of my aunts said that she wanted me to make her a book list, I don't know how serious she was but here are some of my favorites:

  The Bible (should be read over and over and over and over and over :] also different versions provide different perspectives.)
  The Eternal Purpose by Jack Carter (You have to order it through his brother. I can get you the address.)
   Anything by John Wooden my favorite is Wooden: Observations on and off the court
   Monday Morning Choices by David Cottrell (not through but its been great!)
   The University of Hard Knocks by Ralph Parlette
   See You At the Top by Zig Ziglar
   Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris (they don't follow the Bible's plan of salvation, but everything else is just about right on the money)
   5000 Year by Leap W. Cleon Skousen (first glimpse of the brilliance of the US Constitution)
   Quiet Strength by Tony Dungy
   The Winner's Manual by Jim Tressel
   I Dare You! by William Danforth
   US Constitution (Its important we know it!)
  
As with any book that isn't the Bible each one has certain things that may not be 100% accurate, but I have found these to be inspiring, uplifting, and helpful in my own life. I believe the more we can learn from others the less we have to repeat their mistakes, and the more we can do with our own lives because of the insight that comes from other people's life experiences.

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow His precepts have good understanding.
To Him belongs eternal praise." Psalm 111:10  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment