Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What Will We Leave Behind?

   Ever since my Uncle Foy's funeral I have started giving funerals a lot more thought... Mine in particular. Maybe that seems like a morbid thing, but like my dad said this morning at one of my good friend's grandmother's funeral, "Death is the fate of us all." It's not really a morbid thing. It is just a fact of life.
   The reason Uncle Foy's funeral left such a lasting impression on me, I think, was because of the attitude he had with it. He didn't want the funeral to be about him, rather he wanted it to glorify God. It was one of the most profound things I have ever been to, not because of the numbers although there were a lot of people there. It was in what was said, and unsaid. The love of the family for this man, but what was so intriguing was his love for the Lord, and that even in his departing of this earth, he strove to have others come to know the God he loved.
   This is what I want my legacy to be about. I want my life to be something that inspires people to live in view of our Savior Jesus Christ not so that people can talk about me years from now, but so that we can be praising our Savior together one day in Heaven. This truly is what we are here for: to be with God one day in Heaven and to help as many others along the way as we can. I can't think of any words I want to hear more than "Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!" (Matthew 25:21 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment