Friday, September 10, 2010

How do you define success?

   How do you define success? The answer is important because more than likely it is what motivates you to do what you do. I believe we all want to be successful. However it is not always success in the eyes of the world that we are seeking.
   Success is many things to different people. I think one of the best definitions I have come across is John Wooden's. He said, "Success is the peace of mind that is a direct result of knowing that you did the best of which you were capable of doing." I think this coupled with the idea of serving God on His terms is what true success looks like. I guess if I were to write it out it would sound something like this: success is the peace of mind that is a direct result of knowing that you did the best to serve God on His terms of which you are capable of doing.
   I sincerely believe that each of us were put here to do something great for the kingdom of God. My gift is not the same as yours, and yours isn't the same as somebody else's. Nor can I do what you were put here to do better than you can nor you do better what someone else was gifted with.
   I have been reading and listening to leadership material by John Maxwell and he talks a lot about leading from the middle. In other words, not everyone is meant to be at the very top position, in fact, few are. Maybe you are meant to lead at the top of your organization and that is wonderful, I hope you succeed. However, maybe you are where you are because that is the exact place you need to be. Please don't think I'm trying to stifle ambition! At the same time, don't think that just because where you are isn't at the top (positions the world is usually impressed by) that your gifts and abilities aren't needed. 

"Now the body is not made up of one part but of many." ~1 Corinthians 12:14

No comments:

Post a Comment