Thursday, September 2, 2010

Expectations

   Have you ever expected people to read your mind? I know I have, although it's not always a conscious thought, and most of the time it happens when I'm around people I'm closest too. I expect them to know what I want and how I want it done. If I actually sat down and thought it through I would realize at the time how selfish and ignorant that sounds, but often I'm in the moment and like the commercial, "I want it and I want it now!"
   It seems easier with people I don't know as well because they don't know me as well either and we don't have the history together so I have less expectations for them to do what I want. I was sent a text this morning talking about what genuine love is and one of the things it said was not having expectations. If we are talking about expectations in the way I just described I wholeheartedly agree. There are times, I know in my own life, where I set unreasonable expectations on people especially the ones I love, and often in those moments don't act in as loving a fashion as I should.
   On the other hand I believe we should have great expectations for the people around us especially the ones that are closest to us. I have seen many times how when there are low or no expectations people usually live down to those, while, on the other hand, when there are high expectations people rise to the occasion. I believe part of our responsibilty to others is to help them grow as people and in the Lord, and if we expect nothing from them we probably won't help them as much as we should. The key is in finding that balance between reasonable and unreasonable. It calls for wisdom but can make a huge difference in our lives.

"And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds." ~Hebrews 10:24 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment