Thursday, October 30, 2014

Cowgirl Pride

I went up to the gym today to watch my basketball girls practice. I wasn't exactly sure what I would find. When I was in high school playing basketball one of the worst things was for the coach to walk out of the gym, because that is when the arguing and drama began. I guess you could say we did not always play nice with the other kids. So when the girls asked if they could practice after school, this was my first thought.

We talked a little about these pitfalls, and said they could. I walked into the gym after they had been practicing for a while, and heard things like, "Great job!" "You're doing better." "That looks good." Then I watched the younger girls with less experience as they gained confidence and performed even better. They were encouraging each other, but may have encouraged me even more.

I love these girls. You can tell them something once and they are going to do their best to get it done.  They show initiative at just about every turn. They are a blessing to me in so many ways.

I was telling Dad about them today, and his response was, "It kind of gives you hope for America doesn't it?" The truth is that it actually does. I think these girls have within them the God-given ability to do something extraordinary in their lives, to become women of integrity and make the world they live in a better place. That may seem like a lot to say for coming in and watching the last ten minutes of a practice, but as I watched them pray, and then break out with "Cowgirl Pride!", I do see hope for our country.

There are young people out there willing to work hard on the court, in the classroom, and on their character. I see it daily with this group of girls, and I saw it with last year's group of girls. It excites me to see what they will be able to accomplish in their lives.

"Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and He will establish your plans."
Proverbs 16:3 [NIV]

1 comment: